13 April 2013

The 'bus

When Edna and I separated, we had only the one car - a Volkswagen - and it was clearly proper that she and Kathleen should have it.  I purchased a motor scooter - a little Yamaha 50 - got my motorcycle licence, and later replaced it with a Honda 90.  That motorcycle Sue and I brought to Auckland in 1973, and it, with its Honda 125 successor, was our transport until 1975.  When we returned to New Zealand, to live in Pukekohe, in 1984, I bought a second-hand Suzuki 450.  From late in 1984 or early 1985, I sometimes rode that bike to work.

I soon discovered the disadvantages of a 50-Km motorcycle commute:
  • it is cold much of the year
  • it is windy all of the time
  • it is scary some of the time
  • it is boring all of the time
It had, however, one advantage over driving a car:
  • it is cheap
Even at present, I would not drive a car to work.  With all costs, including parking, it would probably cost at least $200/week.

In 1985, I found a better way: the 'bus.

To be sure, there are now commute trains (I don't know if there were in 1985).  In a pinch I could take the train.  Because of the location of the station (at both ends) it would be difficult.

Sometime in 1985 I began taking the 'bus.  It goes on the motorway for about half the distance.  It takes a little over an hour.  It is cheap.  I can read on the 'bus - or sleep.  It is very satisfactory.

So when I was offered a job not on a convenient 'bus route - and, nearly simultaneously, offered the University job - and the 'bus goes right past the University - that was the deciding factor.

I began riding the 'bus to the University - and experienced the main disadvantage that 'bus-riding has over driving:
  • it is inflexible
For a while in 1986 in my new job, I started riding my motorcycle to work again.  I did this until sometime in about July 1987, when an incident happened, which had no direct relationship to my riding the motorcycle to work, but which ended my motorcycle riding.

No comments: