21 January 2018

Mass

I am astonished.  Not only did Jesus give His life that I might be saved from my sins; rise from the dead that I might live eternally; ascend into Heaven that He might send me His Holy Spirit; He wants to be with me, bodily, whenever I am able to come to Him.

To be sure, the Church commands me to go to Mass at least on Sundays and 'Holy Days of Obligation' - of which there remain, in New Zealand, only two (Christmas, and the Solemnity of the Assumption - and to receive Communion at least once a year during the Easter Season.  This command is to encourage the friendship between me and Him.

For I do not naturally seek this friendship.  It is precisely nature that does not draw me to friendship with God.  By nature, I am His creature.  By nature - if I were not a fallen creature - there would be no enmity between me and God.  But - by nature itself - I am not drawn to friendship with God.  It is strictly supernatural that God and I can be friends.

That supernatural life which He has put in me, by baptism and faith, seeks not only to worship Him as creature to Creator, but - astonishingly - it draws me to His friendship.

That is why I go to Mass whenever I can.  I am fortunate.  I live in a country where Mass is regularly available.  Many are unable even to go to Mass on Sundays as a regular practice - for there is no Mass they can get to.  I have St Patrick's of Pukekohe a twenty-minute walk away (being lazy, of course I drive :-)).  I have working conditions that enable me to walk to St Patrick's Cathedral at lunch most days.

He is waiting for me whenever I go.  He gives Himself to me in the Eucharist.  My own nature does not draw me - at times rebels at the tedium - for Mass is not exciting.  Mass is love.  Mass is communion with God.

No comments: