09 January 2018

His fame spread throughout Galilee


21 And they went into Caper′na-um; and immediately on the sabbath he entered the synagogue and taught. 22 And they were astonished at his teaching, for he taught them as one who had authority, and not as the scribes. 23 And immediately there was in their synagogue a man with an unclean spirit; 24 and he cried out, “What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are, the Holy One of God.” 25 But Jesus rebuked him, saying, “Be silent, and come out of him!” 26 And the unclean spirit, convulsing him and crying with a loud voice, came out of him. 27 And they were all amazed, so that they questioned among themselves, saying, “What is this? A new teaching! With authority he commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him.” 28 And at once his fame spread everywhere throughout all the surrounding region of Galilee. (Mark 1:21-28)
When I was, oh, about 16, I think, disaster - a consequence of my own behaviour - threatened.  Although I had never had any religious upbringing, never even been to church - I prayed, frantically, "Oh, God, let it not happen!!  Let it not be!!  Oh, God, please, God, please, please, please!!"

Even pagans pray.  Everyone prays when in need.  There are, it is said, no atheists in foxholes.

I have been a Christian for 48 years.  I still pray like a pagan.  "Grant this; give that."  To be sure, my prayer is more often for others now; it is more often for spiritual benefits.

Ah, well, Our Lord Himself taught us to pray for our daily bread, it is true.  But His fame has spread throughout the world now.  And we are unable not to respond, for we know what He can do.

What is certain, nevertheless, is that many of those who remarked with astonishment, "With authority He commands even the unclean spirits" were amongst those who, at His words about eating His flesh and drinking His blood, "...drew back and no longer went about with him." (John 6:67) - some - God forbid! - may have been amongst those who cried "crucify Him!"

I do not know precisely what has prompted me to write these thoughts, except that I know it is not enough that I know of His fame; I know of His power; I know of His goodness and I go to Him for what I long for.  He wants my love, my obedience, my submission to the Cross that He bears daily for me.  I do not always pray like a pagan.  He answered my desperate prayer at age 16.  He has answered my prayers since.  I do pray, and often, that I will be changed into His likeness, be made one who follows Him, one who, like Simon of Cyrene, helps to bear His Cross - that I will, one day, be one who shares His Resurrection glory.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow....thank you John!